Tuesday 22 June 2010

GB finish second at European Team Championships

Andy Turner was the only British winner on day two of the European Team Championships in Bergen as GB finished in second place overall behind Russia.

GB had five victories on Saturday and despite failing to hit those heights, they held off Germany in third.

Turner clinched victory in the 110m hurdles while Hannah England (1500m), Michael Rimmer (800m) and Phillips Idowu (triple jump) were all second.

Jo Pavey also came second in the 5000m, in her first track race for two years.

Pavey looked impressive considering her lengthy absence from the track and declared herself satisfied after finishing behind Germany's Sabrina Mockenhaupt in a thrilling race.

"It was frustrating at the end as I really wanted to get maximum points for the team," Pavey told BBC Sport.

"I'm a bit short still in terms of fitness and I was thrown in the deep end a little but I enjoyed it. My main focus is to qualify for the 10k [10,000m] at the European Championships in Barcelona."

Turner won the 110m hurdles in 13.48 seconds to clinch yet another individual victory for GB.

But he later revealed he was running with an injury that could yet rule him out of next weekend's European Championship trials.

"We had a team meeting this morning and I was under pressure to win, so I'm pleased," Turner told BBC Sport.

"Really I was just happy to have won the points considering I've got Achilles problems. When I run with the adrenaline flowing it's fine, but when I cross the finishing line it is killing me. I am only doing half my usual training sessions and I need to get it fixed.

"I really want to run at the trials and win five in a row. If I'm not in pain, I will run."

England meanwhile ran a very measured 1500m race to finish behind Ukraine's Anna Mishchenko in a time of four minutes 05.70 secs.

"I was a bit far back early on and tried not to panic," England said. "But I soon found a gap and got back into the top three and I tried to stay in contact but used my kick too early perhaps."

Rimmer ran a decent time of 1:45.62 secs to finish behind Russia's former Olympic champion Yuriy Borzakovskiy.

"He was very strong as I expected but I'm pleased with that," Rimmer told BBC Sport. "I've learned a lot over the years and knew I had to stay close to him."

World champion Idowu jumped 17.12m to finish second in the triple jump but the winner was not the pre-event favourite Teddy Tamgho.

The Frenchman could only manage 17.10m to finish third, having jumped 17.98 in the Diamond League a week earlier, with Ukrainian Viktor Kuznyetsov wining the event with his jump of 17.26.

"It was not my greatest competition but I got the points I was expected to," said Idowu.

"I know where my mistakes are and it's done now. I've got to keep my head down, improve technically, and focus on my jumping.

"I will have another three or four competitions ahead of the European Championships in Barcelona. I'm fit and healthy and I know I'll improve."

There was disappointment for Leon Baptiste in the 200m.

Baptiste, who is ranked number one in Europe this season, ran a decent first 100m but faded in the home straight, finishing in fifth place with France's Maritla Mbandjock winning in a time of 20.55 secs.

"I'm disappointed with today," admitted Baptiste. "I thought I could have done better, I've been training hard, I expected to win, but I've got to pick myself up ahead of the trials.

"I tightened up as I came off the bend and perhaps I need to learn how to run under pressure. I should have relaxed the shoulders but it's all good experience."

Elsewhere Steve Lewis failed to register a height as GB missed out on any points in the pole vault while Emily Freeman ran a season's best time of 23.34 secs in the 200m as she finished fifth.

Angie Broadbelt-Blake was eighth overall in the 100m hurdles in a time of 13.33 secs. Luke Gunn ran a solid race in the 3000m steeplechase, finishing fifth to earn more valuable points for GB.

Jade Johnson was sixth in the long jump with a leap of 6.26m while Britain's women's 4x400m relay team earned a fourth-place finish before the men's relay team came second in the final race of the weekend.

Britain's head coach Charles van Commenee was happy to have pipped Germany for second, highlighting how the likes of Dwain Chambers, David Greene, Martyn Rooney and Mo Farah had all beaten their closest rivals for gold in Barcelona next month.

"The individual performances were very encouraging," he said. "I'm optimistic ahead of the European Championships next month, the athletes took responsibility and handled the pressure."

Van Commenee is waiting to hear whether Olympic champion Christine Ohuruogu will be fit enough for the trials after suffering a quadricep muscle injury last week.

"Some injuries you can't tell straightaway. I expect to have some more clarity over the next few days," he added.

Ohuruogu is scheduled to take on reigning world champion Sanya Richards-Ross either side of the European Championships.

They will race for the first time this year at the Aviva British Grand Prix in Gateshead on 10 July, and again at the Aviva London Grand Prix at Crystal Palace on 13 and 14 August.

No comments: